Let me introduce you to my favorite low carb breakfast: Keto German Pancakes
Making the change to eating Low Carb/Keto means getting creative with your favorite foods.
I cannot tell you how many different “bread” recipes I tried, and they were all disappointing. I finally told myself to just move on. That NOTHING tastes as yummy as fluffy white bread. 😉
But another favorite food, was German Pancakes.
I was actually so excited, because it’s ALMOST Keto! Butter, eggs, sugar, flour… Easy! I could substitute my sweetener for sugar, and it shouldn’t be that difficult to use almond or coconut flour instead, right?
I scoured the interwebs and tried recipe after recipe. Too runny, too dense, not sweet enough, too much texture, not enough texture… and so it went.
I was SOOOOO disappointed!!! I had even found an okay syrup substitute, but alas, no deliciously nostalgic, throw me back to childhood, German Pancakes. 🙁
Then last month, my cousin posted a picture of something she called Egg Loaf. It looked suspiciously familiar. She also said it was AH-MAZING!
I looked at the recipe, and my mind was blown! I hadn’t even thought of omitting any kind of flour all together!
And that was the key to my happiness. 🙂
I made a few adjustments. One being, I add maple extract right into my batter, it doesn’t add any extra carbs, and I like the flavor better.
Seriously. This stuff is so good, you might not even need syrup! But if you do, I recommend the Lakanto Maple Syrup, yum! I eat this hot, cold, slightly warm… it would be fabulous with some berries and a little whipped cream!
Another thing that makes it cool, is cooking it in a pie tin! 🙂 It makes it taste more like dessert… for reals.
Bonus: Keto Egg Fast Friendly!
The great thing is, and I didn’t even know it when I first created this recipe, is that it works perfectly with the Keto Egg Fast guidelines! If you want to know more about the egg fast, check out my personal review here, and the other, not-so-successful group review here.
But really quickly, the highlights of the egg fast, is to eat only eggs, fats, and seasonings, for 3 days to help jump start a weight loss stall. The ideal ratios are 1 egg to 1 Tablespoon fat, to 1 (optional) oz. cheese. And you will see for yourself that this recipe works just like that!
Directions for Keto German Pancakes
Okay, screen shot this, or print off the printable version underneath, and thank me later!
8 oz Cream Cheese (1 package) softened
8 Tablespoons Butter (1 stick) softened
3 Tablespoons Sweetener (I use Lite & Sweet)
1/4 tsp Vanilla, or 15 drops Sweet Leaf Vanilla Stevia
1/2 tsp Maple Extract
Dash of Cinnamon
Dash of Salt
Blend everything up really well.
You don’t want any chunky pieces, so make sure your butter and cream cheese are good and soft! I used my food processor.
Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes, depending on how done you want it. In my pie tin, I bake it just under 35. You’ll know its close when it starts to get those big bubbles!
It seems no matter how I grease the pan, this sticks to the bottom, so be aware of that. I’ve heard using parchment paper works awesome, I just haven’t tried it yet.
- 8 Eggs
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (1 package softened)
- 8 Tablespoons Butter (1 stick softened)
- 3 Tablespoons Sweetener I use Lakanto
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla or 15 drops Sweet Leaf Vanilla Stevia
- 1/2 tsp Maple Extract
- Dash of Cinnamon
- Dash of Salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl or food processor, and blend everything up really well. You don't want any chunky pieces, so make sure your butter and cream cheese are good and soft! I used my food processor.
- Grease the bottom of a baking pan, or lay parchment paper in it.
- Pour mixture into pan and put into the oven.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, depending on how done you want it. In my pie tin, I bake it just under 35. You'll know its close when it starts to get those big bubbles!
- Check the middle with a knife or toothpick. If it comes out clean, it is ready to come out of the oven.
- Let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Well, there you go! THE BEST KETO GERMAN PANCAKE recipe!
You. Are. Welcome.