Before I started eating Keto, I was NOT a fan of peppers, and definitely not looking to make low carb peppers for any reason. My husband loves them though, but I never used them. Left over brain washing from my childhood, I guess. 🙂
It’s amazing how your taste buds change though, even at 30-something. Now, I don’t shy away from peppers in my cooking, and I can even handle eating them raw! (What!?!)
This keto stuffed peppers meal is a family favorite. Even my picky 4 year old will eat these low carb peppers.
It’s pretty easy to make, since I usually have the ingredients on hand. I love using sausage for the meat, because 1. It’s cheaper and 2. The sausage is already seasoned, and it’s also great in spaghetti sauce.
The most time consuming part is cleaning out enough peppers for a family of 8.
I was lazy Keto, so I didn’t really keep track of my carbs. I just made sure to eat things that were low carb, and not worry about it. That worked for me. So unfortunately, I don’t have the carb breakdown for you. The spaghetti sauce I use has 5 net carbs per 1/2 cup, and since you put 1/4 C mixture in each half of a pepper, I assume I’m not killing my carb count. 🙂
Another super yummy thing to do, is to slice up the low carb peppers and saute them with the sauce mixture and cheese. It’s a lot faster, and makes a warm gooey-ness. Mmmm.
Okay, so here’s how we make these low carb, gluten free Lasagna Keto Stuffed Peppers
Preheat the oven to 400.
Wash, halve lengthwise, and clean out 8 peppers. (Remember, I have a big family, so adjust accordingly.)
Lay on a cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. The longer you bake, the softer the pepper. My husband likes his with a little crunch still.
Meanwhile, cook 1 pound of sausage (I use mild or Italian) on the stove. Remove from heat and mix in 1 can of your preferred sauce and 16 OZ cottage cheese. You don’t need to heat it back up, because you’re putting it in the oven.
When the peppers are done, lay some cheese in the bottom of the pepper, spoon 1/4 c. sauce mixture into pepper, and then top with more cheese!
Bake for another 10-20 minutes to finish cooking the peppers and heat everything through, and voila! Dinner is served!
- 8 Bell Peppers of your choice
- 1 Pound Ground Sausage I use Mild or Italian
- 16 Ounces Cottage Cheese
- 24 Ounces Spaghetti Sauce I use Hunts Garlic and Herb
- 2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese Or whatever I have on hand. Cheddar, Parmesan, Provolone, or a combination of any! Use what your family likes best.
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Wash, halve lengthwise, and clean out 8 peppers. (Remember, I have a big family, so adjust accordingly.)
- Lay on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. The longer you bake, the softer the pepper. My husband likes his with a little crunch still.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage on the stove.
- Remove from heat and mix in spaghetti sauce and cottage cheese.
- When peppers are done, lay some cheese in the bottom of the pepper, spoon 1/4 sauce mixture into pepper, and then top with more cheese!
- Bake for another 10-20 minutes to finish cooking the peppers and heat everything through.
These low carb lasagna stuffed peppers are a perfect family dinner.
If you are interested in more dinner ideas, Check out our recipes for
this Parmesan Chicken Dinner which is also keto/low carb
or our family favorite Mango Quinoa dip which is hearty enough for dinner and is gluten-free.